Explanatory videos to promote health literacy for people with intellectual disabilities
01.03.2020 – 28.02.2023
- Caritas Wohnen Paderborn
- Flex® Eingliederungshilfe gGmbH, Bielefeld
- Heilpädagogische Hilfe Osnabrück Wohnen gGmbH
- Hochschule Fulda, Frau Prof. Dr. Rathmann
- Lebenshilfe Minden e.V.
- Lebenshilfe Lübbecke e.V.
- Lebenshilfe Kreisvereinigung Gütersloh e.V.
- Stiftung Bethel, Bethel Regional, Bielefeld
- Stiftung Eben-Ezer, Lage
- vkm Verein für körper- und mehrfachbehinderte Menschen e.V., Hamm
- Wertkreis Gütersloh gGmbH
- Wittekindshof – Diakonische Stiftung für Menschen mit Behinderungen, Bad Oeynhausen
Compared to the general population, people with intellectual disabilities are a disadvantaged group in terms of health and exhibit socially induced inequality of health opportunities. This includes the acquisition, understanding and assessment of health-related information. This requires appropriate health literacy. Health-related information is conveyed by means of comprehensible and participatory explanatory videos in order to promote health literacy and self-determined decisions and initiate changes in behaviour. The overall aim is to strengthen competent and participatory behaviour in the health care system. The explanatory videos illustrate various health-related topics. The effectiveness of the intervention concept will be assessed in a cluster-randomised study. Health literacy, health status and participation in health-related everyday life situations will be recorded at various points in time. This includes the measurement of short and long-term effects. In addition, the perception of the explanatory videos and the subjective perception of participation in health-related everyday life will be determined using a qualitative procedure. The results are findings on the effectiveness of explanatory videos in increasing health literacy and participation of people with intellectual disabilities. Central findings consist of statements about the general health literacy of the target group. There will be explanatory videos that can be accessed at any time via an open online portal.